It was a rational time to leave Kigali. The 19th
commemoration of the genocide was coming up, and the entire country was going
into mourning. There was an eerie, dark feeling in the air, as the posters for this
year’s commemoration theme “self reliance” sprung up around the city.
Grenade attacks in crowded markets started happening;
something that supposedly happens every year - a reminder from genocide
perpetrators that survivors are never safe. In the evenings leading up to April
7th, we would watch military helicopters scanning the hills beyond
our house, shining beams of light down and around the city. We didn’t know what
they were looking for.
The fear and pain that I come across working with survivors
every day was something tangible that now everyone could see and feel.
Work at SURF had been incredibly hectic, and everyone was
rushing to get ready for the commemoration week, where our work supporting
survivors would become more necessary but also impossible to do, with everyone
hiding away to mourn. On the Friday before leaving, I finished two grant
proposals for the UK’s Department for International Development and the UN, and
felt I had been busy enough to warrant myself a break with three of my friends. We flew out
of Rwanda’s tiny international airport the next morning.
Kenya’s heat was muggy and sticky. The land was flat and arid,
lush and green and propped against a turquoise ocean.
If not for the tattered, faded posters on the walls, you
wouldn’t know that the election had only just passed. Everyone thought it was
going to be a violent disaster. There was some violence, but it was contained
to Mombasa around the area we were traveling, and was mostly deemed a success.
There was a bombing at a casino a few weeks back, but now everything seemed
calm. The tourists and aid workers had slowly started trickling back in. The new president’s inauguration was
coming up, and a new government would take its turn.
We knew we weren’t going any further than the beach anyways.
The backpackers hostel in Mombasa was a two-story white
house with a pool and garden in the back yard. It was filled with paintings and
posters, all things that were random and strange. One was a painting of a man
on the beach, lifting the ocean as if it was a blanket with one hand, and holding
a rake to move garbage underneath the ocean with the other. Another had a
picture of a face with sunglasses used as windows. Kenyan flags and ragged
posters hung in doorways - decorations that had obviously been put there decades
ago, which nobody ever thought reason to take down.
The bunk beds were creaky and treacherous to climb on. The
3-inch mattress sunk in the middle so that I could feel the wood planks
underneath. None of it bothered me. It felt familiar; it reminded me of
exploring.
We wandered down cobble stone streets and found hand made
leather sandals. At night we drank and laughed, and exchanged stories of
countries traveled and places lived among fellow wanderers.
After a few nights we hopped on a tuk tuk and putted our way
an hour outside of the city to Diani Beach, where we’d post up for the rest of
our trip.
We found a beach bar with couches and from that point on
were never more than a few feet from the ocean, a comfy chair and a cold drink. I
read my book and let my mind go blank. One afternoon I rode an angry camel that
tried to bite me as I leaned in for a picture.
On Lydia’s birthday we went on a mission to find some fish
near some ocean. We decided to walk in the direction that we hadn’t been. After
a minute we turned a corner and couldn’t see what was behind us or what was
before us. It was the type of quiet darkness that you only find in Africa,
where all you can see are the stars and the moon and the silhouettes of the
trees on either side of the road, guiding your feet. Someone mentioned how
bright the stars were and somehow we all started singing,
Stars
shining up above you
Night
breezes seem to whisper I love you
Birds
singing in the sycamore trees
Dream
a little dream of me
Much later, we went back to our hut and spent hours throwing
peanuts and old limes from gin and tonics to the bush babies and monkeys in the
trees. Just as we were getting ready for bed and tucking in our mosquito nets,
our house was invaded by the most terrifying spider anyone had ever seen. It
was a mix between a scorpion and a spider and was bigger than a tennis ball. It
had fangs. I convinced everyone that it was poisonous. It scurried behind a
bookshelf, so we tried to drown it out, which didn’t work. We were really just
giving it a shower. Eventually my friend Michelle stabbed it with a broom and
we were saved. Subsequent Google searches determined that it was in fact, not
poisonous.
The next night I was sitting at the beach bar, at the same
couch next to the same ocean, watching the sun go down. Our waiter Ken walked
by and picked up Michelle’s book on the couch and asked me if he could have it.
He said he loved reading. We started talking and somehow it led to the
election. His expression turned solemn as he said, “I wasn’t happy with the
results. My candidate didn’t win.” He explained that gangs threatened and
destabilized this area, so that polls were ineffective and understaffed, and a
lot of people couldn’t vote. “Democracy is a luxury we don’t have in Africa.”
I tried to brighten his spirits and highlight the positive
aspects of the election. While it wasn’t free of corruption, at least it was
relatively peaceful. Democracy is a process; it requires a slow progression of stepping-stones.
If there was progress this time, who’s to say there won’t be progress in the
next? “Maybe someday soon there will be democracy in Kenya. Maybe one day
you’ll actually get the president you want.” He looked at me, as if he
appreciated my effort, and slowly shook his head. “Nah. I don’t think so.”
That was all it took. We both knew he was probably right. I
promised that I’d try to find him a book and he headed back to the bar to take
orders, the crowds were coming and there was beer to be served.
On our last day in Diani Beach, Lydia tracked down a man
with an octopus and had him grill it in a hole dug into the sand. Afterwards I
said goodbye to the ocean with much too long of a swim, and the next morning we
tuk-tuked it to Mombasa to head back to Rwanda.
When the plane flew back over Rwanda, I was happy to see the
rolling green hills and the iron tin roofs reflecting off of the sun below us.
Normally I would be disappointed to be ending a trip, but this time it was sensible and somehow relieving. I am back home, with new energy, and there is
work to be done.
0 comments:
Post a Comment